Monday, February 25, 2013

Homemade Playdough!

My son and I decided to make play dough!
It was too fun. The process of making it and playing with it. He helped me stir the ingredients and get the right consistency. He couldn't help me when I had to cook it but he helped with kneading it.
Once it was done my husband said we needed cookie cutters. But for what? I guess I didn't remember playing with play dough lol. So he can make shapes of course!
We've had the play dough for over a week now. They have gotten a bit hard but not a big difference at all. Just knead it a little bit and it goes back to soft!
(This is how it looks when you combine all the ingredients together. The bottom pic is with the food coloring and while it was cooking. It starts to clump up.)
Well husband, we don't need cookie cutters! He has these awesome shape toys. You know, the ones he has to put in the box by inserting it in the right shape hole. We used those and they're exactly the same!
Cook is in medium heat. Yeah, I said "cook it." It will start to "clump up" and have little clumps and balls and then it will be one large ball of play dough mess.)
This picture has both a kneaded ball of play dough and a ball of play dough needed to be kneaded.


I put them in these air tight containers.
Our "cookie cutters." I sure showed him!
It makes some soft play dough. My friends and family are amazed! We're thinking about making some more for my son to play with and possibly for his birthday as party favors! How fun is that!

Here's what you need:
1 cup flour
1 cup water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup salt
1 tablespoon cream of tartar
Food coloring

Combine all ingredients in sauce pan. Does not matter what order. I put flour, water and salt first. My son (with a little help from dad) poured the vegetable oil and cream of tartar. And dad added the food coloring. Mix it together until it almost gets to a liquid consistency. Then put it over a medium heat and it shall clump up. DON'T STOP STIRRING! It will clump up to a ball and that when you start kneading it. Of course let it cool down a bit. But while it's still warm, knead it like bread! Stop kneading once it's completely cooled. Once your little one/s (or you) is/are done playing with it, just put it away in a container.

Hope you like it as much as we do!
Much love,

Abbii<3

No comments:

Post a Comment